The chops are seasoned and then breaded in seasoned crumbs, seared and then baked to perfection under a succulent wine and mushroom thyme sauce. Make sure to serve with mashed potatoes to soak up all that sauce!
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 pork chops (each about ¼ inch thick – you can pound them to an even thickness if needed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, divided
- 1 (12 oz) can condensed cream of mushroom soup (I use Pacific Natural Brand’s Organic)
- 2/3 cup milk (I usually use 2% because that is what I have on hand)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped [more for garnish, if desired]
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Saute onion and garlic in 1 tablespoon of butter in a large, oven safe skillet or cast iron pan over medium heat until the onions are translucent. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl mix together the onion powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt and garlic powder.
- Rinse the pork chops and pat dry. Rub the onion powder mixture on both sides of each chop. Dredge a pork chop in flour and shake off excess. Next quickly dip it into the egg and finally the bread crumbs. I like to press the chops into the breadcrumbs to make sure they adhere generously. Place on a plate. Repeat with the remaining chops.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the same skillet over medium heat. Brown the pork chops 2 minutes on each side or until brown. Spoon a quarter of the onion mixture over each chop, cover skillet (with foil or a lid) and bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- While the pork chops are baking, combine the soup, milk, white wine, and thyme in a medium bowl. after the chops have baked for 30 minutes, pour the soup mixture over the chops. I like to lift up each chop to get a little sauce underneath. Cover and continue baking for 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with mashed potatoes.