Chicken Stroganoff Recipe
Chicken Stroganoff Recipe use chicken for a lighter take on with a creamy mushroom Stroganoff gravy that goes from stovetop to table in just 20 minutes. the sauce is flavour and very tasty. Great recipe for an easy weeknight family dinner.
- 600g / 1.2 lb chicken thighs (4 – 5), boneless skinless (or breast or
- tenderloin, Note 1)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 cups / 500 ml beef broth/stock , salt reduced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 300g / 10oz mushrooms , sliced (not too thin)
- 2/3 cup (150g) sour cream (or yogurt)
- 40g / 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 250 – 300 g / 8 – 10 oz pasta or egg noodles of choice
- Chopped parsley or chives, for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.
- Then heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in skillet smooth side down.
- Press down lightly with spatula. Cook for 4 minutes until golden.
- Turn and press lightly with a spatula. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove chicken onto a plate.
- Turn heat down to medium high. Add butter, melt. Then adds onions, cook for 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until golden. Scrape bottom of fry pan to get all the golden bits off (this is flavour!).
- Add flour, cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add half the broth while stirring. Once incorporated, add remaining broth.
- Stir, then add sour cream and mustard. Stir until incorporated (don’t worry if it looks split, sour cream will “melt” as it heats).
- Bring to simmer, then reduce heat to medium low. Once it thickens to the consistency of pouring cream (3 minutes), adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back in (including plate juices). Simmer for 1 minute, then remove from stove.
- Serve over pasta or egg noodles, sprinkled with parsley or chives if desired.
Jump To Recipe >> recipetineats.com