Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
This Chicken Stir Fry Recipe is so much better than takeout. This recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. A simple enough dish you can create at home with ingredients you can easily find in the kitchen. Go ahead and make it because there’s more than one reason to fall in love with this chicken stir-fry.
- 1/4 cup oil
- 500-750g of medium-sized chicken pieces (use chicken breast)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 large onions cut into wedges
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes cut into wedges
- Salt to season
- 4 capsicums(banana peppers) cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon chilli flecks (increase if you need more heat)
- 1 tablespoon ginger
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar (only if you need it to be slightly sweet for the kids)
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- Have all the ingredients ready.
- Cut the chicken to the required size and place them in a bowl.
- Place chicken in a bowl, add turmeric, chilli powder, salt(1/2 teaspoon) and combine. set aside for 15 minutes.
- Place a shallow skillet or pan over medium heat, pour in 1/4 cup oil into the pan, let the oil heat slightly and shallow fry the chicken until they turn golden brown on the edges.
- This should take 10 minutes over low-medium heat.
- Make sure not to burn yourself while frying the chicken. use medium heat for this purpose, tossing the chicken constantly so they fry evenly. this should take 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer the fried chicken to a paper towel, place the same pan with the remaining oil over medium heat, add the minced garlic and ginger to the oil and saute for two minutes.
- Add the onions, capsicum and tomatoes to the pan, saute until the capsicums turn slightly soft(should still have a crunch) over medium heat. 5-10 minutes.
- Pour in the tomato sauce(4tbs), soy sauce(2tbs), oyster sauce(2tbs)and chilli flakes(1tsp). combine and cook over medium heat. 5-7 minutes over low fire.
- Once the onion and capsicum turn soft with the sauce mixture, add the chicken to the pan. cook another 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Cook until the sauce is thick and completely coats the chicken with a little gravy left in the bottom of the pan.
- Here’s where you can make little adjustments to suit your individual tastes, for adults I actually increase the heat by adding red chilli sauce(do not use sriracha sauce here).
- For kids, I have done the devil chicken with extra spoons of sweet chilli sauce.
- I have also added 1/4 cup thick coconut milk to make the devil chicken extra thick and to have a little gravy for my rice and curry menu.
- Taste and make necessary adjustments as given above, check for salt seasoning of salt and chill.
- If you realize the devil chicken is too spicy for you, add a tablespoon of sugar if the curry is too spicy for your taste as well.
- Serve warm with rice or as a party bite.
Jump To Recipe >> islandsmile.org