This Cajun Chicken and Rice is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is packed with flavor!! Chicken, rice, and traditional Cajun food ingredients all come together in this quick and easy recipe. It is definitely one of our favorite cajun recipes. It’s perfect for busy weeknights!
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 (10-oz) can Ro-Tel Diced Tomatoes and Green Chiles
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups water or chicken broth
- 4 cups diced onions and bell peppers
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Cajun or Creole Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine rice, water (or broth) and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 14 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside when done. Keep covered.
- Then cut the chicken into bite-sized pieces, about 1-inch cubes. Season generously with cajun seasoning. Add one tablespoon of the olive oil to a large pot or dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the oil is very hot, add the chicken in a single layer. Brown on one side, about 2-3 minutes, then flip and brown on the other side. Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, increase heat to high, and when the oil is hot, carefully add the onions and bell peppers. Add more seasoning and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened and browned.
- Add the tomatoes to the onions and bell peppers, then add the chicken back in, along with any juices that may have collected on the plate. Add the cooked rice and stir until well combined. Add the cheese if desired and stir well to combine
Jump To Recipe >> kevinandamanda.com