Sweet and Sour Chicken
A Sweet and Sour Chicken recipe you can easily make right at home! And yes, it tastes a million times better (and healthier) than take-out!
- 3-5 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in 1” chunks
- garlic salt & black pepper
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten (enough to coat chicken)
- 1 cup cornstarch or flour
- 3 to 5 Tbsp oil (vegetable, canola)
- * sauce
- ½ – ¾ cups white sugar
- 4 Tablespoons ketchup
- ½ cup white distilled vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- * with pineapple, onion and bell pepper
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1 red bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- 1 green bell pepper cut into 1” chunks
- ½ yellow onion cut into 1” chunks
- Sprinkle chicken with garlic salt & pepper. Let stand for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Put the corn starch and chicken into a Ziploc bag and shake the hell out of it. Dip the coated chicken pieces in the egg.
- In at least two batches, fry the chicken in the hot skillet, making sure all sides are brown. Repeat until with the remainder of the chicken.
- Place in a pan. ( 3 chicken breasts can be in a 9×9, and 5 chicken breasts fits better in a 9×13)
- * (Optional) Take your sweet & sour chicken up a notch. Sprinkle yellow onion, fresh pineapple and bell pepper on top before adding the sauce.
- Mix sugar, ketchup, vinegar, garlic salt and soy sauce in medium bowl. Whisk until smooth. Then pour evenly over chicken. Turn chicken so the sauce gets on both sides.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, turning the chicken once or twice while cooking to coat evenly with sauce.
- Garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serve over hot, steamed bed of rice, or soft Flour Taco shells
Jump To Recipe >> cakescottage.com