Pork Chops Recipe
French Onion Smothered Pork Chops Recipe – Seasoned Pork Chops are smothered in a thick and flavorful French Onion sauce with gravy and mushrooms. They are pan fried or baked in the oven. Top with hot, melted cheese for extra indulgence!
- 4 pork chops center cut bone-in
- 2 Tablespoons flour
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt/Pepper to taste
- 4 slices gruyere or swiss cheese (optional)
French Onion Sauce:
- 6 Tablespoons Butter Separated
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 large yellow onions sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 8 oz. button mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1 sprig fresh Thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and pat each side with flour.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons olive oil in a large cast iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear each side of the meat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Place them on a baking sheet and preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, do this when you add the chicken broth to the sauce. Note: Thinner, (3/4 inch pork chops) can be cooked in the sauce instead when you add the chicken broth.
- Pork chops are sufficiently cooked when the internal temperporkature reaches 145 degrees.
French Onion Sauce:
- In the same skillet that you seared the meat in, melt 4 Tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. (Don’t clean the pan in between.)
- Add the onions to the pan and toss to coat them in the butter. They will take a good 35-40 minutes to sufficiently caramelize. Use a silicone spatula to stir them occasionally as they cook.
- Add the mushrooms and remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Heat for 5 minutes, until the mushrooms soften and reduce in size.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Toss the onions and mushrooms with 1 Tablespoon of flour. Heat and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high.
- Then add the white wine and heat for 5 minutes. Use the same silicone spatula to scrape up any bits left on the bottom of the pan to allow the flavor to work its way into the sauce.
- Add the chicken broth and fresh thyme. Reduce the heat to medium-low and let it simmer and thicken for about 15 minutes prior to serving. Bake the meat during this time.
- Optional: Top each pork chop with cheese. Set the oven to broil until the cheese is hot and melted, or cover the skillet and allow the cheese to melt that way.
- Add the chops back to the skillet and smother with the sauce.
Jump To Recipe >> thecozycook.com