It has become a long standing Chinese tradition to serve a variety of foods that symbolize good luck and prosperity during the New Year’s Eve Reunion Dinner to usher in the Lunar New Year.
One example is steamed fish because the Chinese word for fish 鱼(yú) sounds similar to the word 余, which means surplus or abundance. another is whole chicken, which represents completeness or togetherness.
- 1 lb pork tenderloin or pork spare ribs cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- Oil for deep frying
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds optional
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1/2 tablespoon plum sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon chili sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet bean sauce or hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons black vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- small pinch of Chinese five-spice powder optional
- 2 tablespoons water
- Pound pork slices with mallet, or with the back of a kitchen knife until tender. Set aside. In a bowl, mix the Marinade ingredients, add in pork slices, mix well, and marinade for 30 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Sauce ingredients. You may add more or less sugar, or other sauce ingredients to your own liking. Set sauce mixture aside.