Tender Southern smothered chicken recipe is seared until the skin is crisp and golden then simmered in a creamy onion gravy. Southern dish combines Asian bok choy for an easy and delicious fusion weeknight dinner. Keto friendly too!
- 6 chicken thighs with skin on
- 1 tbsp flour
- salt and pepper for taste
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small red onion diced
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 cup mushrooms add more if you like
- One bunch of baby bok choy cleaned dried and cut lengthwise then quartered
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1/2 tsp or two of onion powder
- 1/2 tsp or two of garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Reserve 1 tsp of seasoning for later. Add the remaining seasoning to a small bowl. Mix well to combine. Season the chicken with the seasoning that was in the bowl. In a cast iron skillet with vegetable oil over medium high heat saute the onions for 2 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic on top of the onions. Cook until fragrant.
- Remove the onions and garlic and set to the side. Add more vegetable oil. Over medium high heat sear the chicken on both sides until the skin crisps up. Drain most of the fat…Add milk and butter, the Better
- Than Bouillon base and the remaining tsp of the seasoning and flour. Mix well.
- Add the chicken, onions and garlic back into the skillet. Add the mushrooms. Set stove to medium high. Once boiling reduce temp to low. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Make sure to check the liquid. If it’s getting thick too fast, thin it out with a bit of milk.
- Take the chicken out of the skillet and set to the side. Scrape the bits stuck on the bottom of the pan and mix it into the gravy. If the gravy is too thick add a bit of milk to thin it out some. Add the chicken back to the skillet.
- Steaming – Now we will steam the veggies easily using a one pot method. Add the bok choy on top of the chicken but hold up…you may have to push the chicken closer together just so the bok choy can lay on top of the chicken without it sinking into the gravy. But if it does not biggie.
- Set the stove back to medium high. Once boiling reduce to low. Cover the skillet and cook for about 6 minutes or until the bok choy is tender.
Jump To Recipe >> whiskitrealgud.com