Ranch Chicken Casserole
Texas King Ranch Chicken Casserole – If you are from Texas you have had this dish for sure! It is so warm and filling! Great for a cold winter day like it is here today in Colorado! There are many variations to this dish but all involve chicken, cheese and tortillas!
How can you go wrong with that combo! So Mamas just go to the kitchen and whip this puppy up for supper! The kids won’t fight all evening cuz their bellies will be so full they will pass out on the couch!
- 1 whole chicken cooked (deboned and cut into medium pieces)
- 1 can of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 12 corn tortillas (cut into quarters)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can of Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 cans of cream of chicken soup
- In a bowl add Rotel, soups, sour cream, cilantro, and 1 cup of cheese. Mix well. Slowly add in 1/2 can of the broth. Check consistency. It needs to be a thicker than a pancake batter but not too thick. Add more broth if it seems to thick. I usually end up using the majority of the can. I can always add more cheese if I get it to thin. In a 12 x 10 or so casserole dish ladle about 1/2 cup of the sauce into the dish and spread it around. Put one layer of tortillas on top of the sauce.
- Next place cut up chicken on top of the tortillas. Don’t use all of the chicken as we will repeat this layer again. Ladle some of the sauce on top of the chicken. Continue with this layering; tortillas, chicken, and sauce until all ingredients are used up. So you have ended with sauce on top. Take the remainder of the cheese and dump on top of the casserole!
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until it browns and bubbles. Make sure the middle is hot too! I serve this with a green salad, chips and salsa! Guacamole and pico are excellent with this as well! This serves 6-10 depending on the serving size. We are a family of 5 and we always have plenty left for breakfast! Yes I said breakfast! yum! If you would prefer turkey instead of chicken that can be easily substituted with the same great taste.
- And for a speedy version you can pick up a rotisserie chicken and go to town or just throw about 4 medium chicken breasts on the grill instead of boiling a whole chicken. Any of these versions will be delicious!
Jump To Recipe >> nobodyputsmamainacorner.blogspot.com